Introduction to CNC Lathes and significance of CNC
Lathe equipment is one of the workshop machineries that can be used for a range of machining purposes such as shearing, sanding, turning, drilling, shaping, etc. A lathe works for different types of materials such as all kinds of metals, wood, and even plastic. It is one of the best workshop equipments that stay perfect to obtain proportioned objects. With several technological innovations have been made to cope up with the industrial demands, lathe device has been incorporated with computerised technology called CNC.
A Computerised numerical control or CNC lathe works with modern concept with which machining can be made effective and monitored as well. Lathe equipments are of two types lathe machines flat bed lathe and slant bed lathe. A CNC is a latest technology that works with the help of a computer where you can monitor the equipments performance in a computer. A CNC lathe is of two types’ flat bed CNC lathe and slant bed CNC lathe. Both the types of CNC lathe device are preferred for the improved applications they offer.
What is Slant Bed and Flat Bed CNC Lathe Equipment?
A slant bed lathe with CNC technology and the flat bed lathe vary in terms of lathe bed alignment. The lather bed is aligned in sideways in a slant bed lathe as it is found to be very useful in producing straight movement in Z axis. The motion of the moving parts of the machine is stabilized in slant bed which helps in maintaining accuracy in the machining process. The slant position of the backlash promotes to process work even with heavy loads. Mounting the tool, whole machine bed and other maintenance roles are easy to play in slant bed. Flat bed equipment on the other hand contains lathe bed in flat position in which the material needs to be positioned appropriate. Flat bed can be opted for designing with variations to handle light and heavy metal machining process. You may have more information about CNC lathe equipments, here at – http://www.bhavyamachinetools.com/lathe-machine/cnc-lathe-machine.html
Differences between Slant and Flat Bed CNC lathe
- A flat bed lathe stays perfect to achieve accuracy of rigid materials, whereas slant bed can be preferred to obtain Z axis movement in machining
- A flat bed can be preferred for handling lighter and heavy duty materials, where as slant bed can work only for lighter material
- A flat bed is reliable than a slant bed in terms of low power consumption, higher range of productivity, stability and machining.
- A slant bed lathe is relatively beneficial in loading, accessing and machining as it works only with lighter materials, whereas flat bed lathe requires the support of a skilled professional who can handle it properly.
Applications of Flat Bed CNC and Slant Bed Lathe
Both the lathe models are preferred for various industrial purposes such as
- In Shipping
- In mining
- Power Plants
- Industrial workshops where higher amount of drilling is required
While considering the two models, a flat bed is more beneficial when it comes to more production requirement. Hence, investing in flat bed lathe is relatively good for large business.