A milling machine is a workshop tool used to shape solid materials like metal, wood, plastics etc. It is different than a lathe machine because in a lathe machine the material to be cut moves, whereas in the milling machine, the cutting tool moves at a high speed. Basically it can be classified into various types like horizontal, vertical , turret and CNC. Before knowing how to install this, it would be better to have some information about different types of milling machines as given below:-
Horizontal Milling Machine
It consists of overhead arm supports and cutters that are arbor driven. It is cost effective as it produces only high quality material. A horizontal requires less manpower which reduces the manufacturing cost of the material. A horizontal machine is an excellent workshop tool which provides several years of efficient performance. It just needs to take care of properly and proper steps should be followed while using it which will keep it in best condition for years altogether.
Vertical Milling Machine
It is just similar to above in terms of performance and production of quality material. These both machines differ only because of the spindle axis orientation. Moreover, vertical are cheaper than horizontal and so are quite popular.
Universal Milling Machine
It can be fitted with various attachments to enhance their operations. The indexing fixture, table swivel housing, rotary table, rack cutting attachments etc., are some of the attachments that can be made..
Turret Milling Machine
It can be repositioned at any time making this machine versatile and very functional. The versatility of the turret makes it more practical as many different kinds of materials can be produced with the help of it
All the above types can be further categorized to manually operated equipment as well as computer operated which are also known as CNC milling machines. It has many advantages as they give fast and accurate results. However, the steps to be followed while installing it depends on the you have purchased. If you have bought a it from a reliable supplier of machine tools, then you will get a manual which specifies the steps to be followed while installing the machine you have purchased. Below mentioned are the common steps to be followed for installing a horizontal or vertical milling machine:-
- For shipping purposes, the hand cranks are inverted to face the machine. To reverse them, engage the lock mechanism to saddle and table.
- Lower knee approximately.
- Withdraw the safety pin on the left-hand side of ram adapter.
- Loosen the four unite head mounting bolts.
- Support unit head manually and use a spanner on swivel bolt to wind into upright position.
- Press the safety pin back to the ram adapter after passing the 25 degree mark.
- Tighten the four unit head mounting bolts to a diagonal sequence.
Besides these installation steps, you need to follow some safety measures which are given below:-
- Wear safety shoes and glasses.
- Follow safety instructions given in the manual.
- Keep all your body parts away from moving parts.
- Use proper point of operation safeguarding.