Milling machine is used in industries dealing in wood, metal, plastic etc. Solid hard materials can be formed into shapes of desire. With the advanced technology there is a great improvement in the working. Today they work much faster than what the speed was years ago.
It can execute many functions. It can drill, cut, rout etc. The machines are kept greased with a liquid which is dispensed on the location of cutting to clean away small pieces of metal.
Types of Milling Machines
Main types available are:
- Vertical Milling Machine is used for thrust drilling and its spindle is placed vertically.
- Horizontal type is mainly used for cutting big and heavy material.
- Column type is simple to use, with few parts. The mechanism for cutting is poised vertically and this can drill the materials.
- The turret is very adaptable and can produce numerous products.
- The C frame is commonly used in the workshops as it is very powerful.
- The most accurate type of it is the CNC machine. As it works by means of computer and very intricate designs can be made on the work piece.
The size of the machines also differs, small machines that can be kept on a table and the big ones are as big as a room.
Tips for Buying the Milling Machine:
The type of Milling machine you buy depends largely on the kind of work you have to do. So first reflect on how simple or difficult and intricate the work is. The main conditions you must think about are:
- Production needs – the capacity of it you wish to buy depends on your needs.
- Frequency of use – if you are going to use the machine often then buy an industrial tools, and for less usage buy a commercial machine.
- Axis – check how many axis the machine has.
- Power – depending on the speed you require check the power of the electric motor, spindle, turbine and the engine power.
- Speed – how fast the spindle head moves is the speed of the spindle, make a note of it.
- Attachments – check how many attachments will come free with the machines, you might have to buy others.
- Popularity – check online how popular that particular brand of machine is, read the feedback and comments of other people who are using the machine.
Safety measures to use while operating milling machines:
The operator must be trained well. The work piece must be clamped properly and the operator must make sure the clamps and vises are activated properly or it can lead to serious accidents.
He must check regularly if and when the tools should be changed. The machines must have the guards to protect any small pieces from flying away. Safety glasses must be used while operating it.
Thus, it becomes easy to buy a particular brand of machine after learning important facts about it. Check the credentials of the company and also the machine you wish to buy. It’s a big investment, so be very sure about the type of machine you need, before you buy one..