A milling machine includes a cutter that functions at a high speed. Hence, it can harm the user if not operated properly. Moreover, the milled material may cause serious injuries, because the metal chip is very sharp. Further the metal pieces lying on the table can cut your skin; and the metal flakes flying around during the cutting process may damage your eyes. It is therefore necessary to be careful and alert while operating. Hence all related persons are advised to follow the safe guards listed below.
• You should make sure that your hand, shirt sleeve, glove, and long hair are kept at a safe distance from the milling machine, especially the spinning parts. Otherwise if anything gets entangled in the moving parts it will cause serious mishaps. Hence you should always be aware about the location of the stop button for immediately disconnecting the power supply, if an accident occurs while working.
• Usually a sharp metal rotates at high speeds on a milling device. Hence you should ensure that the work piece is fastened tightly. It is better to secure the material properly to avoid it from flying off the table and prevent any damage or accident.
• You should even secure all the tools in the relevant tool holders. This is essential because any loose tools can injure you or damage the machine. Further, if a tool breaks, you must instantly stop the tool and change the tool, and repeat that operation. Moreover the broken tool may also collide with the nearby tools in the line, and thus cause various other problems.
• Basically the metal which is being cut on a milling equipment has sharp edges. These dangerous metals should always be handled with care; otherwise it can cause considerable damage. Moreover, as some milling machines may not be enclosed, it is necessary to safe guard your eyes from the sharp metal chips and the coolant spray. Hence when you are working with raw metal; you must wear safety gloves and suitable eye protection.
• While operating it you should always close the doors and view the process from the window of the machine. This window will protect you from any loose parts, and sharp or large chips of metal. Moreover before starting the milling machine you should always clean the window whenever it gets dirty, and also replace it when it is damaged.
• Generally a water soluble fluid is used to cool the metal when it is being cut. However, a coolant may not be utilized for machining some metals. As a result the hot metal chips that are thrown off the work piece can burn your skin. Hence you must always use a shield while machining soft metals without a coolant. In case a safety cover is not available you should use a fire resistant material as a temporary guard.
Hence all users should know these important safe guards while operating milling tools.